Thursday, August 18, 2011

Looong overdue

Well, I've been back for weeks. I will begin with general impressions of China:

1. Lots of rear ends. EC (Elimination Communication) is used by Asian parents via split pants. If your young one needs to expel, without diaper butt, you're able to notice more of the signs that the child has the urge. you can more quickly cart them off to one of many public toilets, squat them over a squatter toilet and give a signal that they should begin. Or over a bush. Whatever. Because one doesn't need to fuss with pulling down pants, the child eliminates in the proper location, not their pants, leading to an enormous deficit of landfill clogging disposable diapers.
2. Community hang out. The elderly population is so much better supported and social, parks are filled with groups of people chatting and socializing, playing games street-side, walking to markets together, etc. Grandchildren are often cared for by grandparents. Spending time together and keeping your mind and body active is paramount in Chinese culture.
3. FRESH FOODS, everyday. I can't tell you how many fruit carts there are, how many markets are all over the place, and you pop by one on your walk home for items for that day. No mass quantities, just a daily purchase of fresh fresh fresh yumminess, because you take home only what will fit in your arms.
4. For as conscientious as the culture is about some things, it's so wasteful about others. I can't tell you how many times I saw tiny nick nack crap for sale. $.05 for a carved walnut, $.15 for a handful of plastic beads, $1.37 for a fake jade carved tiger. Why? Nick nacks everywhere.

5. My language skills were in a frustrating in-between stage. I could ask many questions and would be able to communicate further if and only if the person responded with a specific answer. The yes or no response to my question was never given, rather a full-fledged explanation of something vaguely related was the response I received, so I never knew what was going on. For example: I might ask a pottery vendor "These two- how much money?" Response: "This one $5, this one $6." Okay, no problem. I understand. So, I feel bold and ask, "Which one do you like? I want one. I will give it to my friend." I was pretty proud of myself for being able to convey all of that information. If the response was simply 'That one' with a point indicating the preference, I would have been fine. But that was never the case. I'm sure I received an answer about blue vs. green and fine vs. poor quality, but the key words I knew were never used. Alas, I was lost. OOOOR, I could pick up a vegetable and knew how to ask "What is this?" And the response was in Mandarin. And I remained clueless. I didn't even know 'cook' 'raw' 'sweet' 'with garlic'... nothin' that would clue me in. I totally played the smile and nod game a lot.

I'll begin stories day by day or adventure by adventure soon. Hope this gets you pumped for more!

3 comments:

  1. number 1 (no pun intended) is very interesting! i don't know how comfortable i would have been with that when my kids were babies...although i do love the idea of less diapers in landfills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. I love that fruit in the photo.

    Happy Holidays to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is pretty interesting post. The first though... I've never seen that before!

    oxo

    ML
    Twenty York Street
    www.twentyyork.com

    ReplyDelete